Batanes_191Finally, (again) the mighty wind calmed down a bit and I was able to board a rock'n boat back to Basco. While on board, I sent sms to the people there sayin', "I am comin' back". The doctor's wife replied, "drop by at the house and eat your breakfast".

Since I have seen most of the things to be seen, I thought it's time to get back to Luzon. So the next day, I went to the airport to book a ticket. At the airport, I confirmed that there is a flight going back to Loaog at about 11 am that day. So I went back to my host's house to get my things. Just before I was preparing to leave, the doctor came to give me a live "tatus" (coconut crab), an Ivatan special delicacy when cooked. It is actually a crab that looks like a combination of a big black spider and a crab (sounds gross?). They convinced me that it tastes better than a lobster! The doctor and his wife are very kind and thoughtful to take the trouble of bringing me a tatus. They thought that since I am not able to try tatus in my stay there (because of the sour weather there was no catch), I'd bring one with me to taste when I get back home.


After saying goodbye to the folks, I was brought to the airport only to discover that there was no flight because I was the only passenger! "Maybe tomorrow", they said.


Batanes_255

Next day came, no flight, then another day, no flight. I was getting impatient. This time, it was not the weather who's the troublemaker, it was the lack of passengers. I could not afford to charter the whole 8 seater aircraft. Everyday, I packed up and said goodbye and everyday, I walked back to the house, my host family always welcoming me with open arms and great smiles. "Always come back to our house", they said.


The day came when I made up my mind to go back to Luzon no matter what it takes. In a few days, I have a scheduled trip to Palawan and there is no certainty when passengers for Loaog will appear. I decided to take the bigger Asian Spirit airplane bound for Tuguegarao. With this altered plan, however, I have to undergo a few compromises . I have to pay a thousand pesos more for the plane fare; I will have to forget seeing a couple of places in Ilocos Norte, places I originally planned of seeing on my way back to Baguio; I have to take a longer route, I have to ride a looong 12 hours bus ride from Tuguegarao to Baguio instead of the 6 hours from Loaog.


This time, I was really determined. But there was one major problem. I am short of 800 hundred pesos for the plane fare. There is only one ATM bank in Basco and unfortunately, I tried but could not withdraw money from that bank. So I texted one kababayan (a guy from the same Province I come from) I previously befriended in Itbayat island. At the same time, Kuya, the father in my host family learned of my problem and he told his wife. So Ate Batanes_203Ofie, the lady host, came to my rescue and told me that if I am really determined to leave that day, she would lend me the needed money. Then she reiterated what she had been telling me throughout my stay there, that, "if I need anything, I should not hesitate" telling them...


Meanwhile, Mr. Kababayan in Itbayat texed back, saying "kas anu ngay, ket agutang ka a dita ta siak tu ti mangbayad". (Borrow money from anyone there and I will be the one to pay)...Aren't all these people great? I sometimes seriously think I drifted to one of those angelic realms.

....continued next post...



This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: