... It can't be helped, the forces of nature are hard-headed sometimes. From the port, I disappointedly walked back to the clinic. The staff warmly welcomed me for the second time.

The mayor of that town came with a man he was showing around. He introduced the man to the staff as the new chief police of the town. I was sitting at the corner frowning at the sudden downpour when the mayor noticed me. It was the second time I meet the mayor that day. He introduced me to the Chief.


Since we are both Ipula (non-Ivatan), the Chief of police seemed to find it agreeable talking to me than to the others.


He asked: What are you researching about?

I said: I am researching on how to get rid of the police.

He said: "What???"

I said: Ah, no I'm just kidding... I am researching on how we can do away with lawyers. (smiles)

He said: But why??? why do away with the police or lawyers?


I was silent for a while... wracking my brain to spit out the right words to follow through my initial brashness. But before I can come up with better words to say to him, he proved himself quick-witted and broadminded (mind you, contrary to my expectations of chief polices, hihi).


He said: Ah, you mean so that the people themselves police their own communities?

I said: Exactly sir! (wow, he could pick up my thoughts!)

He said: I fully agree with that and would really promote that proposition.


Then he elaborated more about his opinions on how the people may take charge of the peace and order over their own communities and the role the police would perform in that prospect. After that short exchange, the Chief and the mayor had to leave.I spent the rest of the afternoon writing on my journal.


In the evening, somebody reappeared, the Chief. We greeted each other. He told me that he is waiting for the mayor who is somewhere around the neighborhood and that they are going to a birthday party nearby and that he is waiting for the mayor's text message. While waiting for the mayor, we talked about politics, religion, tribes, and the zero crime rate of Batanes. I told him about the main door of the clinic which is always kept open. Even at night, the security guard leaves the door open while he sleeps on a folding bed beside it. The Chief laughed and reflectively mentioned that since he came from chaotic Manila, he may get bored of the quietness and pacific mood of his new destination.






He asked why I chose to come to distant Batanes rather than any other place nearer mainland Philippines. I said, I merely saw the Batanes group of islands in a map and wondered about the them. So I came, and saw, and is now fascinated with the place and its people. The awaited beep came and the Chief had to go.


It was indeed interesting to exchange opinions with the Chief. From his physical looks alone, it seemed that his female aspect is very activated. He looked quite feminine, with a light frame, average height, light complexion, soft but firm vocal chords. Just the opposite of my image of pot-bellied policemen


I set my phone to alarm at 5:30 for the next morning. I was told that the first trip to Basco will be at 6 am. That is, if the weather is right.


Then I went to bed..




This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: