After a couple of days of cranky weather in Basco, we sensed that the wind is coming from the east. This meant that the weather condition is getting better and that I could take the chance to jump to another island. So my friend, the Doctor's beautiful wife, told me that I could sleep in their house that night so that she could take me to the port very early the next morning. I was a little hesitant because I thought I might be abusing their hospitality. So I told her that perhaps Jun, the cousin of Don, can drive me to the port in the early morning. I thought she agreed with me but when we were eating dinner in her house by the beach, she told her husband that I will sleep there that night so that they could bring me to the port early in the morning. The doctor agreed. So, that same night after dinner, we motorbiked to my host's house to take my things then back to the house near beach.
I set my mobile phone to alarm at 5:30, the boat to Sabtang will leave at 6 am. The next morning, I was woken up by some movements, I went out from my room and saw the doctor preparing breakfast and her wife looking for a suitable jacket for me to wear. The three of us hurriedly ate breakfast and my friend packed me some sandwiches and a bottle of water... then the Doctor and I went off to the port.
They day looked promising. Its fairly clear skies but still foggy in the early morning. The ocean waves as I saw it from the port looked relatively calm.
The boat ride was only 45 minutes and this time I was not seasick. I even sat at the edge of the boat enjoying the view. There was a significant number of passengers. There were locals, there was a young Taiwanese couple, and two local tourists from Manila. When we reached the island, the whimsical weather changed again, it began to heavily rain!
I was met at the port by a lady previously contacted by the Doctor. She was carrying umbrellas, one for me and the other for herself. She asked me if I want to rent a room for the night or stay in the clinic for free. I told her, I may stay in the clinic if it is allowed. She said, "yes of course, that is practical and better".
The clinic is like a regular office at daytime. There are a few staff but no patients. I was later to learn that do not really house patients there anymore, unless it's an emergency. However, since I arrived there on a Sunday, the place was totally deserted.
That morning, there was no sightseeing because of a downpour. After some rest, the lady who met me at the port escorted me to interview a respondent. For the rest of the day, I was left alone to do as I please. It was like the whole house was mine, I cooked my own food and I had a room and a bed specially
arranged for me. When the rain stopped, I went around the town and climbed the nearby hills.
Evening came, the lady who met me at the port appeared with another woman. She introduced the latter as a staff in the clinic and that if I need anything, I should not hesitate to tell her. We had a little chat, they informed me that they requested their clinic security guard to report that night to 'guard' me. I secretly thought that that was not necessary, but I could just nod my head and say, OK.

0 comments: