As a believer of either luck or superstition, I started the year of 2006 doing something I really like to do, traveling...
Inspired by the latest empowering books I read and a new red mini digital camera that that was presented to me as a Christmas gift, I took the night bus to Loaog.
Then, I saw a lot and experienced a lot...
Two hours before arriving to the capital of the Ilocos region, I witnessed a tragic accident. An old acacia tree broke and fell on top of a van running opposite the bus I was riding. The van driver lost control and hit the bus I was in and the van flung to my side (I was at the window side)... then I saw them, 2 people, I thought they're still alive because I saw them stirring, only to realize that the movement was either their last or a movement created by the impact of the collision. Then I heard someone shouting "all dead!". 5 people, all died in a moment.
Everybody was shocked and involuntarily trembling. It was hard to believe seeing blood and tragic death right in front of your eyes. Later that night, my imagination was still very active and I'm finding it hard to sleep. I asked myself, "why did I have to witness such a tragedy?.. What am I supposed to learn from it?" If my bus was a few seconds faster than it was, the old acacia tree could have caught us. For a moment, I shivered of the thought, but somehow, I have a knowing that it was not my time, no, not yet :-) .
But why did I have to witness such an event? Richard Bach of "Illusions" said that we should not be perturbed by mere appearances. Contemplating on this, I came to hesitatingly acknowledge that that accident was just another appearance among many appearances... And in the end, no matter how sad and tragic, "all that happens to us is with our soul's full consent."
I know that the family of those who died were devastated and I sent my silent condolences through my prayers. But I am aware that I'm more detached and that's why I can philosophize on the event. But time and letting go heals, believe me...
Oh, and what a way to start a year and a trip to unknown places.
0 comments: