Although Tokyo occupies a mere 0.6% of the total area of Japan, more than 10% of Japan`s population is concentrated here, hence the place is really congested. And with this congestion, comes the many things we dislike about the place.
So what do I love about the place? Surely, no
t the crowd, not the cold stares from the "sararimen", and not the crazy hustle-bustle of the metropolitan (I`m a laid-back).
My boyfriend swears he hates the crowd, the fast-paced life, the stressful commuting (if you are working). The Bf concluded he dislikes Tokyo.
For many people, especially the gaijin in Tokyo, the city is cold. I agree it has its coldness, but it`s just like any other metropolitan where people are faceless and where rules are fossilized in stones.
I love Tokyo for several reasons:
The very efficient and convenient transportation system.
The green
suburbs (back then, don`t know now, I didn`t have time to visit my old suburban paradise)
The nature parks and forests within the concrete cities (still exist, just went there).
The walk, the anonymous walk in the city
where you can walk impersonating your favorite manga character, or your own eclectic style of fashion... And I do love Tokyo fashion, it's highly entertaining, it's amusing, it's an art.
Most of all, I love Tokyo because of the good old friends. Some are still around.
We meet up and go around the old spots where we used to hang out in. I was also continuously being introduced to new interesting people and places.
And, the memories, oh the memories of the past just don`t fade away. I always feel nostalgic when in Tokyo, especially when I`m around the south-western suburbs of Musashino. It's incredible that even the sounds of the crow and the robotic recorded voice in the bus and trains (which would just turn-off many) and the smell of the breeze brings me back in time. That magical time, my first foreign trip which was full of very strange but pleasant memories. It was here where I
experienced a different reality. A different reality of warmth, ease, nature, technology, culture, abundance, long-lasting friendships, international dating :-), getting lost, breaking rules (that the Japs would not dare break), Nihongo (undecipherable, I quited after 2 terms), baby sitting and English teaching part-time jobs, hiking, ice-skating, my first snowfall, cycling, home-staying, drinking, partying, lazing on school grass till dark, cutting-classes, picnicking, digging for ancient potteries buried right under the school grounds, language-exchanging, blind-dating, crying, laughing... It was a good life, a moment in time that changed my way of thinking, forever.
***

4 comments:
Kero said...
greetings from the east! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the link. I added you as well. i am extremely enjoying your posts. i have so much to read so i'll be back by nd by. Andreas is doing great. he will turn 6 months on the 26th. than you for asking. take care and best regards from my family
Kayni said...
hello, i like the new place. very cozy! well, i'm back blogging. do visit when you get the chance. thanks.
Kero said...
Im here again! Yes, i created a completely new account (new e-mail address)for my other blog. I used it for my paid reviews as you have read. If you create another blog kase with the same e-mail address, your old profile will still appear even though you have a different lay out. Good luck then with Adsense
artemis said...
Thanks Kero for the tips. I just did as you did, created a new blog with different email ad. :-)
yeah, i really like your new site kayni, i like cafes too! :-)