This entry was posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 and is filed under
Philippines
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
just because you asked us to correct your English:
I think weather is uncountable and cannot take a, the correct use is "what weather" I think. But please correct me if I'm wrong because I also want to improve my English.
As I said I'm also not 100% sure but it sounded wrong. And I also googled and I couldn't find a single "what a weather". In the examples you give the "a" does not count the weather but the whole clause which includes a countable noun like widget, emergency, map, balloon, observer, forecast or chaser. I'm also curious about this and I think I'll ask a native English speaker friend who's also a meteorologist :o)
5 comments:
I could I will said...
just because you asked us to correct your English:
I think weather is uncountable and cannot take a, the correct use is "what weather" I think. But please correct me if I'm wrong because I also want to improve my English.
Anonymous said...
artemis said...
Hmmm, I googled the phrase and it came out many times, it's being used:
1.what's "a weather" widget?.
2. in case of "a weather" emergency.
3.colors on "a weather" map.
4. Ride "a weather" baloon.
5. What "a weather" observer should know.
6. In "a weather" forecast.
7. Come and see what "a weather" chaser does. ...
and so on and on as you click google's next and previous buttons.
So I guess it's not about counting the weather but it's used as an expression, or something to that effect. :-)
I could I will said...
As I said I'm also not 100% sure but it sounded wrong. And I also googled and I couldn't find a single "what a weather". In the examples you give the "a" does not count the weather but the whole clause which includes a countable noun like widget, emergency, map, balloon, observer, forecast or chaser. I'm also curious about this and I think I'll ask a native English speaker friend who's also a meteorologist :o)
What a way to improve our English skills!
artemis said...
ha ha ha! really? Ok you ask him...but "what weather" doesn't sound correct to me at all.