When I was ill with Achilles tendonitis and couldn't walk for 3 days, my niece said, "why are you incapacitated?"


It struck me, I really felt like a disabled.


The month of May is somehow a party month for my family (graduation, reunion, kids' summer vacation, etc). Some of my siblings and their kids came from distant places to visit, and I couldn't walk. While everybody is active, jumping, walking and going out, visiting other relatives, going for picnics, I stayed in bed or just sat down on a chair applying hot and cold compress over my swollen feet while watching all the healthy people prancing all about.


When I got better and was able to carry myself to go downtown to see a doctor, I decided to go to the most convenient private clinic. I wanted to avoid the long lines at the public hospital and medical center, only to discover that there was also a long line at the private clinic and I had to endure the long wait, together with other people with all sorts of ailments. While waiting, I could easily sense a somber, dreary atmosphere among all the other sick people, and it was contagious.


However, if I had not been sick and did not have to go to the clinic, I wouldn't have known that there are many people in the world with various medical complaints. I wouldn't have known that I've been so lucky for being spared of illness for many, many years. I wouldn't have been reminded of the long waits, sitting elbow to elbow with other sick people, or blankly staring at other sick people in front of me -- fellow patients patiently waiting for their turn to be examined by the physician.


If I had not been sick, I wouldn't have known how it feels to be "incapacitated," as my niece termed it.


I used to be sickly as a child, 5-6 year old, and then I recovered and became very healthy that I forgot how it felt to be really ill. For most of my life up to now, I was never hospitalized. The last time I remember being hospitalized was when I was 6 years old. I seldom got sick and so very rarely saw a doctor. (Visiting the dentist for toothaches is entirely a different story though ;-) )..


Then suddenly, about a couple of weeks ago, I woke up one morning to find out that I lost my ability to walk! It was certainly horrifying.


But because of that valuable experience, I learned, and was reminded of a few important things:

  • Not to take my health for granted.
  • To take good care of my body.
  • To be thankful everyday for being healthy.
  • To feel deep compassion to those who are suffering from any disease.
  • To think positive thoughts only, knowing that many diseases are psychosomatic.


Now that I'm back to normal, I feel good everyday. I try to remind myself to be thankful for my renewed health. For health is really wealth. And I hope I don't have to see a doctor again for the next decades of my life.



(Incidentally, and coincidentally, I just learned that my sister who lives in another city, also for the first time, suffered from the same Achilles tendonitis just a week before I did! She had exactly similar symptoms. And, the day before she was unable to walk, we were together, climbing a small hill near our house. Could that be the cause?? Weird.)


This entry was posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Kayni said...

    I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I find it strange that you and your sister suffered of the same sickness almost at the same time. Take care.

  1. ... on 5/21/09, 9:26 PM  
  2. artemis said...

    Thanks Kayni, yes, I find it really, really strange that me and my sister had the same illness almost at the same time, and first time for both of us!

  3. ... on 5/22/09, 8:15 AM