Basco_town... We arrived at the house. There were already 3 people there, the lady host, the physician and his wife. I was welcomed ever warmly.. I was offered a cup of coffee, a donut, and as expected, we quickly arrived to the the usual 'question and answer session'. Although my head was still spinning, I tried my best to answer their questions intelligibly. It so happened that the physician in the group is a graduate from my Alma mater so he asked most questions about the University and if his classmates and friends are still there. After the question and answer session, they suggested I go and have some rest in the bedroom.

When I recovered after some 45 minutes rest, I had to face the 'accommodation confusion'. It is up to me they said, whether I stay in that house or stick to the previous plan. I wanted to please everybody so I was having a difficult time deciding. To make the story short, I decided to stay.


My decision proved to be the better one. For the next "research"* and sightseeing days, I was always provided with a more-than-willing guide, driver, interpreter, and a good friend, all gratis!

* I was a self-made researcher there :-), it was not pure sightseeing, mountain climbing and drinking. It actually involved some interviewing elders, it was all fun!


For the days that followed, apart fromDear_friend sightseeing, motorbiking up the mountain, down the mountain, along the coast, through narrow and steep roads, I conducted interviews. I was able to interview a 102 year jolly old man who shared the stories of the past. A slightly drunk grandmother puffing her tobacco and singing love songs, entertained us. Another giggly, charming grandmother tried hard to "appropriately" respond to my interview questions. I was also able to talk to the only Ivatan scholar (at that time, at least), Professor H.




This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: