Last week, we went to the Uni to see the showing of an independent film sponsored by UP PAGTA in commemoration of the Indigenous Peoples' month. It has been years since I last set foot in the old campus which is looking very new nowadays with all the renovations that took place in the last couple of years.


Although I missed the old atmosphere, I am glad that the campus is developing, at least, in terms of the conspicuous infrastructures. Upon arrival,the first place I visited was the toilet and I was dismayed to learn that until now there is no flowing water from the tap. In my four years stay in that lovely campus, only occasionally could I find running water from the faucets, and I got used and I lived with it. But this time, somehow, with the new polished look, I expected to find running water in the toilets. Oh my,have I forgotten?!


Although I was not able to go around since it was already very cold and cloudy after the film showing, I felt good for the very brief visit in that old, shall we say, battleground? Ha ha, battleground of minds, personalities, students and teachers and the administration. Or is it the memory of the struggle? The struggle to pass our credits, beat the deadlines, impress the teachers, get the attention of our crushes? The struggle in juggling academics, extracurriculars, friends and drinking and singing, and part-time jobs?


Yes, it was the battleground of all these... but, mostly, one of my vivid memories of campus is that, as a TIBAk, it was the main battleground in the struggle for the many issues concerning the so-called "masses."


And I liked it all... all of those learning processes in that small campus, and revisiting the memories of my rebellious years.


This entry was posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Kayni said...

    Wow, I felt a sudden rush of memories. Although my stay at UP Baguio was short, I made wonderful and not so wonderful memories. Good to hear they're on the road to progress.

  1. ... on 8/28/08, 10:15 PM  
  2. artemis said...

    Really? You had a 'not so wonderful memories' there? Must be Math 11 or something similar, I flunked that course! ha ha ha..
    Yes, it seems they're on the road to progress. :-)

  3. ... on 8/29/08, 4:37 PM  
  4. Kayni said...

    Yes, Math 11 gave me such a hard time. Mr. Ragay gave me a 4, so I had to pass another test in order to pass. It's so interesting though because when I was in high school, I was doing well in Math. Why is it suddenly that when I went to college Math 11 sounded so foreign to me. Was it me? Or was it the teacher?

  5. ... on 8/30/08, 7:05 AM  
  6. artemis said...

    Ha ha, when I was in high school, I dreaded Algebra, but I was pretty good in geometry. I first got a 5 in Math 11, then retook it in the summer term in Mr. Ragay's class. He gave me a 4, so I had to re-exam to pass. They say he was the easiest Math teacher around then but I still almost flunked. :-)

    My next ordeal was Statistics 101..

    It's Angeli who is the economist among the three of us, we are both historians, so... :-)

  7. ... on 8/30/08, 8:16 AM  
  8. Angeli said...

    Oh my.. Artemis, were you also my classmate under Prof Ragay's Math 11 class? it made me guilty tuloy because of the grade he gave me. :)

    Did you take Stat (SocSci 101) under Gladys? i liked that class. :)

  9. ... on 8/31/08, 8:35 AM  
  10. artemis said...

    Hi Anj,

    I don't know if you were my classmate in the last summer class that he conducted (he went away after that, so I was told).

    My first Math 11 was Prof. Willy. My Stat 101 was Dr. Rood :-)

  11. ... on 9/1/08, 12:36 PM