Friendster blog entry July 27 2007


I am in an internet cafe, I have exactly an hour before visiting a touristic waterfalls. As I see in postcards, this waterfalls seems to be really beautiful. I go and try to swim, visit some local villages, and spot some "tigers and bears," these, according to the program of the travel agencies around here in Luang Prabang.


So while waiting for the pick up, I write something about Laos, traditionally called Lan Xang, the "Land of Million Elephants"… So far, most of what I’ve seen through the bus window of the long ride from China was Laos countryside which appears to be deeply peaceful and green, a paradox since Laos is one, if not the most bombed country in the world in the 1970s. In fact, in temples and houses, it’s not unusual to spot bomb shells converted into flower pots, a gesture which I think is lovely and very creative.


I’m right now in Luang Prabang, the ancient capital of Laos during the dynastic kingdoms. It is a laid back touristic place with many cafes, guest houses, boutiques and souvenir shops. The deep and chocolaty Mekong river peacefully flows, it supplies the cool breeze for this colonial French town.


. . . .


Here's the Tat Kuang Si waterfalls during non-rainy season, a mere trickle. Looking at its surroundings, I could see that during rainy season, the waterfalls really swell, expanding 5 times of the above size.





It flows to this nice pool, and more pools below this pool.






:-)






uhuuuu, cooold...






And here's the moon bear, doing some kind of strange ritual by itself, perhaps meditating. Moon bears are black in color and have this V-shaped white pattern in their neck, and that is why they are also called "half-moon" bears, so I heard. I love bears, and these ones are captive for tourists like me to see. :-(







This tiger was poached when it was 2 weeks old. It passed from the hands of 5 different humans in 2 months time, a kind of buy and sell underground business. It was very malnourished by the time the authorities discovered it. The little orphan must have been really stressed then. Death to illegal poachers!




And where are the million elephants?





This entry was posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: