After seeing the movie "Bride Wars" last Saturday, I found out yesterday that me and my two girlfriends have had an unspoken desire to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic." I say "unspoken" because none of us mentioned, hinted, or planned going to the movies before we met yesterday evening. But, apparently, all three of us knew that a current "now showing" at the mall is another girls' movie. And perhaps that was the reason why we met yesterday despite not having an appointment to meet.


Earlier within the week, I planned to sample a 'new' gym yesterday. So starting early in the morning I've been looking forward to learn what's up at the new gym. It so happened that one of my girl-friends wanted to come along to observe as she had been advised by her very own weight-lifting instructor to try dance in order to correct her tomboyish gait. And so we met at the gym. Then my other girl-friend sent a message asking why I am not in the old gym yet. Apparently, she planned to go for a workout at the old gym. I thought she was not going since she usually informs me earlier regarding her workout plans. So we told her we are at the other gym to try something different.


After her workout, the girl-friend who went to the old gym joined us. Then we asked ourselves: "so, what we gonna do now?" And then, spontaneously, 3 of us blurted about the new chick flick movie!


Oh, I hope we are not going to get 'movieholic' to these fun, girly movies as movie tickets are now very expensive, especially when you could just pay a quarter of the cost by renting a DVD/VCD instead of going to the cinema. And as they say, it's now "crisis" time, and, worst of all, the movie we were going to see was dubbed to be just so inappropriate for the times.


But the most ironic of all was, one of the girlfriends announced that she had just been fired from her job! Ha ha ha! What to do? We cried with her and cursed the unfair ex-employer.


Then to truly celebrate 'no more waking-ups early in the mornings and no more stressful bosses,' we went on to grab coffee and donuts then strutted to the cinema to watch the "confessions of a shopaholic." Very nice therapy huh?


The movie is kinda cute. But you're of course going to be disappointed if you expected it to be something very serious. At least there were no horrible and violent scenes and the props were upliftingly rosy and pink. And it's really for girls, so if you are a GUY, more likely, you wouldn't make sense of it. So you are better advised to stay home and watch a horror or action movie. :-)


But, there was a very good lesson from the movie and that is what is important. Uncontrollable shopping is an addiction. And just like any other addiction, it's not good for your health, your relationship, your finances, as well as it profoundly affects the state of your over-all sanity.


It was a nice workout, nice movie, nice day. Life is Good.


This entry was posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Kayni said...

    Sounds like a fun day, but I'm sorry to hear about your friend losing her job. I hope she'll find another one. Also, it's a good time to sleep late and just do something fun. This movie didn't interest me...lol. I think I've had enough seeing this type every day at work. Two of the girls here are so into signature labels and they get new clothes/shoes almost every single week. It's exhausting.

  1. ... on 2/20/09, 11:36 PM  
  2. artemis said...

    Hi Kayni, yeah hopefully she finds a better job soon. she's kind of talented so I think she'll be fine.

    I know what you mean by people who get into that signature stuff, it's kind of pathetic when all they boast is their new signature labeled acquisition as if that is all what matters in the world. It's just so good that none of my girlfriends are into that. And its a blessing that we have ukay2 here lol.

  3. ... on 2/21/09, 9:49 AM