For a free yoga workshop, I went to town late afternoon today. I was inside the public transport, halfway to town when the vehicle stopped moving. It took double the usual travel time before I finally reached downtown. The main street was full and there's somewhat a festive atmosphere in the air. Vehicles moved by inch and strangely enough, the hordes of people seemed to enjoy walking in slow-motion. I began to suspect I perhaps missed something. Today, I also saw much more foreigners compared to the usual sightings. I thought maybe because it's winter time in their countries so half of them crossed the world in search for warmer air.
Then my friend reminded me that it's the Festival of Flowers tomorrow! How could have I totally forgotten? I certainly didn't forget that the city's main festival is held sometime this month, I was just unaware that the big show begins tomorrow. Time really moves so fast these days. It's already almost the end of the month!
So now I have to make an important decision. Shall I go out tomorrow? Or shall I stay home and avoid the crowd? I don't even remember the last time I went to see the festival, three or four years ago? Whew, more than you think, it's a tough decision to make. The Flower Festival is definitely superb, but you'll also have to go very very early to secure a good spot. And then you'll have to wait until the street show begins. By that time, you'll have been very bored, tired, and hungry.
Is it worth it? I think so. It's definitely colorful, beautiful and unique. People come from everywhere, near and far, to see it... But maybe for me, I can give it a pass (again) this year. I can see it another year, as long as I live and as long as there are flowers. "Maybe," that's the decision for now.
Then my friend reminded me that it's the Festival of Flowers tomorrow! How could have I totally forgotten? I certainly didn't forget that the city's main festival is held sometime this month, I was just unaware that the big show begins tomorrow. Time really moves so fast these days. It's already almost the end of the month!
So now I have to make an important decision. Shall I go out tomorrow? Or shall I stay home and avoid the crowd? I don't even remember the last time I went to see the festival, three or four years ago? Whew, more than you think, it's a tough decision to make. The Flower Festival is definitely superb, but you'll also have to go very very early to secure a good spot. And then you'll have to wait until the street show begins. By that time, you'll have been very bored, tired, and hungry.
Is it worth it? I think so. It's definitely colorful, beautiful and unique. People come from everywhere, near and far, to see it... But maybe for me, I can give it a pass (again) this year. I can see it another year, as long as I live and as long as there are flowers. "Maybe," that's the decision for now.
4 comments:
Kayni said...
i've only seen one of baguio's flower festival, and that was when we were in first year college. i didn't even watch any of the parades, but i did enjoy walking through session with all the booths and no cars.
artemis said...
i'm also looking forward to that walk on session rd. but the 2 day parade is the highlight of the show. i didn't go but i kinda regretted not going when i watched a bit on tv. lol..
Lorenzo said...
Awww! I wish I were there in Baguio. Come to think of it, when I was in baguio, I did miss a few of the parades! I must admit, it's easy to do that when you live in Baguio. Still, sana nasa Baguio Ako! Sayang, you could have taken your camera with you and taken a few photos to share with us at least diba? Big hugs, Keep blogging!
artemis said...
Hi Lorenz,
i gave my tiny space for the more than 300,000 visitors from outside of the city... i hope they had fun, he he.. I surely wanted to go and take photos pero, sobra talaga ang crowd, hanggang ngayon nga eh sa 1 week na sarado ang session rd sa traffic...
anyway i found some pics here http://janl.exblog.jp/8016156/ not the good ones (unlike the ones i saw on TV) but it surely offers a glimpse...
Here's my favorite entry http://www.sunstar.com.ph/blogs/panagbenga/2009/03/01/float-of-baguio-country-club/
enjoy!