I woke up four days ago with pain at the back of my right foot ankle. I walked back and forth and it disappeared. The next morning, I was very surprised to wake up again with pain, this time, severe. And then it swell, and I couldn't walk. Friends and family urged me to go for a medical check-up, but I have difficulty to even go to the toilet and kitchen, how much more to brave the up and down hill walk to town? Besides, there's a typhoon, (now it's gone but weather is ever-changing from sunny to rainy every 10 minutes).


My sister was sure that it is arthritis, and she gave me some bitter drugs for arthritis. But my reason does not want to accept that it is arthritis (I'm just too young for that, I thought). Besides, it was not the joint but the tendon at the back of my ankles that is swollen and painful.


In fact, I seriously thought it was caused by sorcery! For I went perfectly healthy the night before only to wake up in the morning and couldn't walk? What would explain such phenomena but perhaps some kind of magic? Black magic, to be precise? I ruled out such cause for the mere absurdity of the thought, for who would do black magic on me?


Then yesterday, I woke up in the morning and felt the same dull pain on my previously unaffected left foot. And then it disappeared. This morning, I woke up and felt a severe pain on the left foot. Now both feet are in pain.

I searched the Internet and what came out as the most possible explanation is 'Achilles Tendinitis.' The symptoms exactly defines my experience. And I think the possible causes are valid in my case.


Symptoms of Achilles Tendinitis


1. Severe pain in the heel when walking or running.

2. Swelling.

3. Warm tendon.

4. Swelling, tenderness and warmth of the Achilles tendon.

5. Redness over the skin.

6. Stiffness that lessens as your tendon warms up.



POSSIBLE CAUSES

  • Overuse
  • Running on hills and hard surfaces
  • Poor stretching habits
  • No, or inadequate warm-up before an exercise activity
  • No, or inadequate cool-down after an exercise activity
  • Worn-out or ill-fitting shoes

"Injuries to your Achilles tendon can often result from taking part in an activity involving stop-and-start footwork for which you're not conditioned or for which you haven't stretched properly. This might include playing tennis, racquetball or basketball for the first time after a long break."


It is said that Achilles Tendinitis is a common cause of sport injury for athletes, and weekend or occasional "athletes" like me.

I think the cause for me is jogging up and downhill without proper warm-up, and jogging irregularly. In addition, I go belly dancing, strenuous, irregular, and perhaps not enough warm-up and cool down sessions. Two weeks ago, I was in a river jumping over boulders and rocks. I think mine is an aggravated case and it hit me this time.




It was swollen at the back and a bit above the ankle but it got better now, the inflammation is not very visible. Thanks to the healing angels.









This entry was posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Angeli said...

    tumatanda ng talaga tayo no? :)

  1. ... on 5/12/09, 3:22 PM  
  2. Kayni said...

    i hope your now feeling better and able to walk again. take it slowly and praying you'll recover fully.

  3. ... on 5/12/09, 10:19 PM  
  4. artemis said...

    Angeli, oo nga, haaayy... lol.

    Kayni, thanks...
    I could walk so I went to the doctor. He told me what I already researched from internet and I had to pay P300 for the 2 minute consultation!

  5. ... on 5/13/09, 12:43 PM