These photos appeared in my inbox a couple of days ago. I was confused as to whether it was just sent, or if it was sent some years ago but somehow just got stuck and was miraculously hidden somewhere in my inbox and have only recently re-appeared, (sometimes this seems to happen). So I emailed the sender to confirm if he just sent me some photos of 3.5 years ago which I have totally forgotten. He promptly emailed back saying that he indeed just sent the photos because he was not sure if he ever sent them...

ha ha, and that was exactly three and a half years ago! I have not been in touch with this stranger, a fellow passenger on a rocky boat ride to Sabtang island, who took some snapshots of me. Thus I was very surprised when he sent the photos after years have already passed.














Whew, what a fresh reminder of my solo adventure to the Batanes group of islands where i was stranded for weeks due to weather conditions. I was very glad I went there when only a few could really walk the talk, he he.. Just before going there, I researched in the internet and could only see a couple of information and a handful of government/tourism photos. Now if you google it, there's a lot of information and thousands of photos about the islands...



It was in Batanes where I experienced how extremely rough and inhospitable nature can become. I almost died on the boat trip from Itbayat to Basco, and it was not due to a capsizing boat, but my body was half frozen because of cold, and much weakened because of vomiting. It was more than a roller coaster ride where the boat was like a surfer being carried by the huge waves of the open sea. The icy-cold, salty ocean wave kept lashing at me, forcing me to eat salt, causing my eyes to be sour, and salt crystallizing all over my face . So I was just grateful for the rain to be alternatively whisking its freshness washing off the salt which was wind-drying on my body. I kept holding on to the side of the boat lest I'll fall down for sea creatures to snack on. Oh, what a memory!


Yet, paradoxically, the people were just the opposite of their volcanic- rock-islands and moody-broody weather, for they were one of the most gentle, warm and hospitable people I ever met.


I survived, and it was a wonderful trip indeed....


This entry was posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Kero said...

    omg. i never dared to visit Itbayat riding a boat. mabuti na lang an islander plane goes there these days.

    My Grandfather is from Sabtang. Thank you, thank you for visiting our province. you look great in those pic!

  1. ... on 7/28/09, 6:45 PM  
  2. Kero said...

    Artemis, can i share the link to my fellow Ivatans at Facebook? They would really love to read this. Thank you!!

  3. ... on 7/28/09, 7:00 PM  
  4. artemis said...

    Hi Kero, sure you share it with your friends.:-) an 8-seater plane goes to Itbayat at that time but the pilot refused to fly, i was already stuck for days in itbayat so i dared to take the boat and just after a storm.. it was a good experience, i wont do it again but i don't regret to have done it. :-)

  5. ... on 7/28/09, 8:33 PM  
  6. Kero said...

    Artemis, my fellow Ivatans are loving and greatly admiring your post!

    Gino, the boy in one of those pics is a brother of my friend, Bofel. She is sending her gratitude for the post..i told her to write her comment here directly. But just in case, i want to tell you.

  7. ... on 7/29/09, 8:34 PM  
  8. artemis said...

    Gino was such a sweet little boy, the epitome of a "pure" child. then your friend's family were my host!! the world becomes beautiful with people like them.

  9. ... on 7/30/09, 10:44 PM