Friendster Blog Entry, July 25 2007


After about 1.5 months in Yunnan what can I say about China? I can’t objectively speak of China as a country, it’s a huge world by itself. Yunnan province is so beautiful with many lakes, mountains, colorful ethnic groups and ancient towns. There are the Yi, Han, Naxi, Musou, Bai, Tibetan and other ethnic groups and they still enjoy wearing their colorful costumes in their everyday lives.



18 hours bus ride to Kunming from the town of Mongla. Beautiful countryside.


I think there are major things you can correctly conclude about China in general even if you’ve only seen a fragment of it. First, it is truly a huge country. I heard another traveler commenting that everywhere in China is far because you have to travel for days and days to reach your next destination. Secondly, it is very populated. There are people everywhere, not only that the cities are crowded but there are these strings of towns and villages scattered all over. For the first time in my life, I felt that the world is really very populated, or is it China only? And this is despite the Chinese Government’s one-child policy.


And yes, China is fast developing. The moment we entered the border from Laos, the energy of the land changed. You could smell something big being concocted, and the lively vibration was inescapable to the senses. Big roaring machines everywhere quickly transforming this part of the Earth. Big big changes are to be expected... It was a bit of a disappointment to reach Kunming though, the capital of Yunnan. Very crowded and polluted.


Upon reaching Kunming after a very restful overnight bus ride, the crowd at the bus station scared the hell out of me. Everyone just started speaking and shouting at me, "hey, hey, hey! Dali? Lijiang! Xongdian!? blah blah, xxx, yyy!!" and all at the same time, (and in Chinese of course). Oh, but what did I really expect from a big city? Silly me.





Kunming City



Then, there is the talk about Chinese toilets, they’re quite interesting because they just seem not to catch up with the fast modernization happening around. The rule is, when you go to the public toilet close your eyes and stop breathing. Too bad, I was not able to capture a presentable toilet photo. :-)


And yes, incidentally, like everywhere else I’ve been in Asia, the Chinese people insisted that I was just another Chinese in China, perhaps a Musou tribeswoman? ha ha. They continuously and persistently spoke to me in Chinese, and I think in some other dialects as well because when they see that I really didn't understand Mandarin, they shift to a local language which is, of course, equally undecipherable.


Language exchange with the guys in Kafka guest house / bar.



And, the Chinese people in Yunnan? They are very nice, most of them, although they are not as smiley as the Southeast Asians, when they smile, they really beam.




Here are some photos we gathered when we went around the towns and villages.



This guy is semi-genuine. He dresses up for the tourists.





This women are genuine. They wear their tribal costumes everyday. Or maybe the ethnic groups were told to wear their costumes for the tourists? They are a pretty sight, nevertheless.




This guy intrigued me. Whenever I pass by Boa Ai Lu St, I look if he is there and he is. Everyday, he sits in that same spot in old town Dali, Bo Ai Lu St, seemingly watching passersby. I didn't see him interacting with anybody. When you stare at him, he just stares back at you. No smile, no reaction, only that same long face, and those sunglasses. I guess he is either a sorcerer or a philosopher, or both.





Enjoying looking around the shops.





Happy looking folks, and friendly too. I found them in Xongdian county, more popularly known as Shangri-lah!





Elders we found in the villages (or they found us) when we went around cycling.





Oh, beautiful Er Hai lake... I miss Dali whenever I see this photo.






We came across this while we were cycling in the villages. There was a funeral, and this is how they ritualized it. Wow man, it looked more like a festival. There was so much firecrackers.






School girls on their way home. Reminds me of my childhood in my remote village, eh :-)






Colorful line of shops in Lijiang county. Ah, I do really miss China now!





And here was I, the tourist.



As a whole, the China experience was unique. I would like to go back someday and discover more about the motherland! But when that time comes, I hope I’ve learned to speak some Chinese. Xiexie.



Travel period: June-July 2007


This entry was posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Kayni said...

    Beautiful photos. I like that photo of Er Hai lake. Is that a wild horse grazing? I'd like to see some of China in the future too. I am intrigued by that old man who seats on the same spot everyday too.

  1. ... on 9/12/08, 11:29 PM  
  2. artemis said...

    Yes Kayni, China is a must see, although there are Chinese everywhere, to see this country is rewarding. Although I've only been to Yunnan, the southern part which is connected to mainland southeast Asia. So I went there by bus via Laos and Thailand.


    That handsome horse in Lake Er Hai, it looks wild but maybe not because there are some houses near the lake so it may have an owner. :-)

  3. ... on 9/13/08, 9:06 PM  
  4. Angeli said...

    Hi Artemis,

    i agree with Kayni. the guy with the cane looks really cool. those pictures make me want to visit china, too. :)

    And speaking of Thailand, can you recommend what areas/sites there are nice to visit? we are planning to go to bangkok sometime soon.

  5. ... on 9/14/08, 10:28 AM